Friday, April 14, 2006

Word(s) of the Day

I think it's fair to say that if you're in law school, you have some appreciation for language. There are many ways to improve one's diction, including the use of ubiquitous "word of the day" services. I included one on this site sometime last year for your enjoyment (past words have included "foment" and "Clerisy"). This service is provided by Brainy Dictionary. Other sites such as Dictionary.com and French Word of the Day offer similar services. You can even expand your lexicon through listening to regular podcasts of DJ Liang (super nice guy, btw) or learn the etymology of words with a daily dose of Podictionary.

My question is: are these services really useful? Sure they easily fall within the categories of interesting, whimsical and sometimes fun - but useful? A quick search of "useful word of the day" revealed these links:
This must be the most useful word of the day delivered to my mailbox so far:. “triskaidekaphobia"
I think it's fair to say that this comment was made tongue-in-cheek. I'm guessing that it was posted by another blogger who also questions the usefulness of these words.

The following links are sincere (as far as I can tell):
Today's useful word of the day: 'yutz'.

A useful "word of the day." excerebrose

USEFUL WORD OF THE DAY: idiopathic.

Immensely useful word of the day
Glox: The sound of liquids when shaken in a barrel.
Do the producers of these sites genuinely expect readers to use these words into their quotidian parlance? Neither 'yutz', 'excerebrose', nor 'glox' are even included of my spellcheck dictionary. It seems overly fustian to me. ;)

1 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger Lawyerlike said...

I prefer to invent words, like "Smorgastort": a fact pattern with many discernible tortious causes of action.

At least, I think I invented it - I've had several people Google it and find my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home