Saturday, June 11, 2005

Grades

Well, our grades from our first year at law school have been tallied and they're official. Personally, I didn't do badly, but my grades aren't stellar either. Two grades were higher than expected, one about what I expected, and 2 were lower than anticipated. I suppose, all in all, it evened out. As one friend noted: this is the nasty reality of riding the B curve.

Already, some of the consequences of our grades are being felt. Two students were accepted as transfer students into UofT Law. Another is still waiting to hear from McGill. And, I suppose, there will be some new faces in the fall from transfer students who will come to Queen's.

Wow - I was just having a flashback to before law school when I was reading The Tiger in Winter blog. It was shortly after this posting that he started to write about leaving law school:

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Grades, grades, grades...

Well, they were up as of last Saturday -- I ran off from my friends at the 35th reunion tent (they had good beer and good music) to check my grades at the Edwards computer cluster at around midnight, EDT.

Not so shining, although I've yet to see the exact numbers (which may be more or less discouraging).

The final tally:
Criminal: C+
Contracts: B
Legal Research & Writing: B+
OTL: P (Pass/Fail orientation course)
Property: B
Public Law: C+
Torts: B

So, yeah, I'm an average law student. Slightly below average, possibly, depending on the exact numbers.

And that means that I've officially lost the Law Foundation of Nova Scotia scholarship, too. Full fare tuition to be paid by me, next year, not by the Law Foundation. It was nice to have, when I had it.

I have some darn smart classmates.
Unlike Ben, I'm not going to share my grades with the world. But I will agree with him: I too have some darn smart classmates.
:)

2 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger The Tiger said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger The Tiger said...

Yes, indeed.

With law school (or any sort of professional school) -- which many more people are covering for themselves than undergrad -- there's a lot more of a tendency to do a cost/benefit analysis.

I looked at what would be available for me given that level of achievement, looked at my alternative options, and made the call.

Tough call to make, too, because I loved the people I went to school with.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home