Friday, September 30, 2005

Joke Worth Repeating

What do you think about lawyer jokes? On the one hand, some of them are hilarious. I subscribe to the belief that it is a sign of good character that you can laugh at yourself. I also think it's important for our state of mind, as lawyers, to have a good sense of humour. So, at first glance, the jokes are good fun. I came across a series of lawyer jokes (you can find them in abundance on the Net) and I enjoyed this one:
After drafting a will for an elderly client, the attorney announced a fee of $100. The client gave the attorney a $100 bill. After the client left, the attorney saw that the client had in fact paid $200, as two of the client's $100 bills had stuck together.

Looking at the $100 overpayment, an ethical question arose in the attorney's mind: "Do I tell my partner?"
But there's another side to this story. How about the belief that every joke holds a grain of truth. The protagonist of the joke above has a poor grasp of ethics and this seems to be a common theme among lawyer jokes. By retelling these jokes, aren't we perpetuating the stereotype? Am I reinforcing the notion that lawyers struggle with ethical dilemmas by posting the joke?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home