Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Lawyers on TV

Is it my imagination or are TV shows about lawyers sprouting up like weeds? Sometimes I wonder if I notice these things now because I'm a law student. Do you get that? For example, in conversations with non-law school friends, I'm thinking in the back of my mind, "oh, that could be a tort".

Anyhow, here's a list of all the lawyer shows that I can think of:

Law & Order (with its cult following - a first year prof has actually recommended this to his students)
Boston Legal (Captain Kirk as Senior Partner)
The Practice (more soap than law)
This is Wonderland (gritty Canadiana)
The Guardian (the struggle of a young associate)
Law & Order spin off: Criminal Intent (blood and gore)
Law & Order spin off: Special Victims Unit (rape and pedophilia)
Street Legal reruns (gotta love the hair)
(Am I missing any?)

I find it mildly disturbing how TV has come into the classroom. A professor recommending to first year law students that they should watch Law & Order? What's next? A list of Recommended Viewing under Recommended Reading in the syllabus? Scary thought. Another prof likes to pepper his classes with references to shows like Canadian Idol and Pimp My Ride. That I like - it adds entertainment value and it keeps us awake.
:)

3 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Blogger a blawger said...

Just found another one:

Close to Home (family on trial)

(They're multiplying.)

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Ali said...

My crim prof often analogizes with movies (The Godfather seems to be one of his favourites). No mention of lawyer TV shows yet though (except to dispel any perception that that's what real court proceedings look like).

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with you. I've seen the opposite extreme. Our law dean took some flak for mentioning in an interview that he doesn't watch tv. Some said that it sounded elitist and out-of-touch. But to me it just seemed like honesty. Lots of folks don't watch tv, and sometimes it takes guts to admit it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home