Saturday, October 07, 2006

Countdown to OCIs

The Class of 08 is on the brink of on-campus interviews (OCIs). The name is actually quite funny because the interviews are held downtown at the Four Points Sheraton Hotel. Maybe they can just change the name to off-campus interviews, keep the acronym, and no one will be the wiser.

Almost exactly a year ago, I went through OCIs. Here's a link to the post. And here's an excerpt:

For the Class of ’08 (and ’09, etc): I’ve compiled a list of questions that were asked during the day from my own interviews and from the interviews of others. I’ve also included some questions that I heard were asked to students last round. I hope it will help you prepare.

What do you think of the trinkets that firms are giving out today?
(follow up) Will they influence your decision?
Why did you decide to come to law school?
Tell us about your undergraduate thesis paper.
What is the one thing you would like us to know about you?
What courses are you planning to take?
What does “the rule of law” mean to you?
When is it justified to break the law?
Tell us about a significant case.
Which branch of our firm appeals to you?
How does morality play into the law?
If you could amend the Charter, what would you change?
Tell us a funny story.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Are you sure you want to be in Toronto?
What's the toughest question you've had so far and how did you respond?
How do you prioritize your time?
When did you realize you wanted to go to law school?
And what do you think about that?
Tell us about the paper you wrote for this essay competition. (points to resume)
What prize did you win?
What is the number one quality that will make you a good lawyer?
What questions were you expecting but not asked?

Please note that I had interviews with the government and private firms. Some of the questions, like "What does 'the rule of law' mean to you?" are from government and you shouldn't expect these types of questions from the firms.

Also, PLEASE do not be disheartened if you do not get a job through OCIs. In my class, I believe about 30% - 35% of the class got jobs. This means that 65% - 70% did not (and many didn't apply or, they didn't send out many applications). Every year some students skip class because they don't want to be known for not getting interviews (or second interviews). Hold your head up. I'm confident that everyone will find their niche.

Do your best!

3 Comments:

At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you mind expanding a little more on your government OCI experience?

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger a blawger said...

If you have any specific questions, please let me know. My email address is on the top right.

In general, government OCIs are based on a point system (each answer is assessed) whereas firm interviews are subjective and the students are ranked. (I could be wrong about this.)

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Simeon said...

Considering your experience, I'd love a littel insight to a question I just posted on my blog: www.lawtarget.blogspot.com. Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home