Wednesday, June 09, 2004

The Importance of Voting

You know, I have to admit, I have thought for a number of years that Canadian politics was pretty boring. Until recently! It seems like since the emergance of a united Conservative Party and a strong leader at the helm of NDP this upcoming election is actually a race! I'm very impressed. My girlfriend and I just sent away for our mail-in ballots. I'm still not entirely sure who I'm going to vote for - but I will definately vote.

I should mention that I'm pretty anal about voting. I find it pretty depressing how few of my cohort are either registered to vote, or are interested. On a business trip to DC I was watching The Daily Show in the hotel and Jon Stewart joked that choosing between the Democrats and the Republicans is like choosing between Pepsi and Coke. And he has a point. Like many jokes, Mr. Stewart's revealed a nugget of truth: in both platform and methodology, the Democrats and the Republicans are very similar. Yet, if Al Gore were President would he have attacked Iraq? Of course we have no way of knowing for sure, but I think it's a safe bet to say that the 10,000 people who have died in this war would probably still be alive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home